Frequently Asked Questions

Find answers to common questions about licensing music and using our music library

How do I search for music on your site?

Finding the right piece of music for your production couldn’t be easier. You can search using keywords or add filters to see results for a particular production genre, music genre, mood or instrument. You can also search by composer where you can hear all the music tracks by a particular artist.

How will the music files be delivered?

When you have successfully completed payment, you will be directed to a payment confirmation page which contains download links to your files. You will also receive an order receipt containing the download links to your files and a license agreement. These will be sent to the e-mail address stated on your order so it is very important that you use a valid e-mail address to ensure that you receive your documents.

Your download link is a unique URL and for security reasons will expire 48 hours after purchase. Should you be unable to download within the 48 hour period, you can request to renew your download by contacting us.

When you click your download link, your file should begin to download dependent on the browser you are using. Our recordings are supplied as broadcast quality 16bit 44.1kHz .wav files. Please ensure that you backup any sound files, invoices and license agreements after you have completed your purchase.

What is a Performing Rights Organisation (“PRO”)?

An artist may choose to join their local Performing Rights Organisation (“PRO”). Collection societies such as ASCAP, BMI and PRS collect broadcast and public performance royalties from sources such as YouTube, television, radio and movie theatres when an artists music is broadcast and/or publicly performed. A share of these royalties is then distributed to their registered members.

Some artists chose not to register themselves or their music with a PRO organisation which means their music can be referred to as completely royalty free music, 100% royalty free music or PRS PPL free music.

What is a music cue sheet and when do I need to complete one?

A music cue sheet contains details of any music that has been used in a production. The cue sheet contains the title, artist and duration of every item of audio contained within the production.

A music cue sheet needs to be completed by a producer if a production is broadcast or publicly performed (e.g.on radio, film and television). The cue sheet is sent by the broadcaster to the artists Performing Rights Organisation or “PRO” (e.g. ASCAP, BMI, PRS). who collect public performance royalties from radio and TV networks, movie theatres and various other sources. The collected royalties are shared amongst the artists who create the music you use in your productions.

There are no additional fees associated with the submission of cue sheets and you, as the producer, should complete one when an artist is registered to a PRO and your production is broadcast or publicly performed. Details of an artists PRO affiliation can be found in your license agreement and in the individual track details on our website.

What is royalty-free music?

Royalty-free music is a fairly in-depth topic and is explained in more detail on our ‘What Is Royalty Free Music?’ page.

Is the music on Melodicloud royalty free?

Some of our artists are registered with a Performing Rights Organisation or “PRO” so the music on Melodicloud is generally royalty free rather than completely royalty free.

By obtaining a synchronisation license from Melodicloud you can use our music without the need to pay us further fees based on usage. Our licenses are in perpetuity meaning that you can use the music for the life of your production i.e they are not time limited.

You can find out if a particular track is PRO registered by navigating to the individual track page on our site. Details will also be included in your license agreement of the artist and their PRO details for each track you license.

Please note our licenses do not contain public performance rights. Any public performance of a production containing a PRO artists music should be reported so they can receive their performance royalties. To do this, the producer of the project containing the music should fill out a cue sheet and submit it to the broadcaster. There is not normally any further cost to the producer as the artist receives royalties from their PRO which is covered by the broadcasters annual blanket license. Should you be unsure if your production falls under publics performance we recommend you seek advice from your local PRO organisation.

My video has a music copyright notice from YouTube, what do I do?

YouTube has developed software which scans your video for copyrighted material on upload. If a match is found on their content ID system, you may receive a copyright claim. We do not allow our artists to submit music that is registered to YouTube ContentID so you should not get a copyright notice when using our music.

If you do receive a notice it will normally be the result of a near match. It should be easy to resolve by disputing the copyright notice and showing that you have a license to use the music from us.

Can I sing over the music and release it as my own track?

No, we do not allow any derived works. You can not sing over or add sounds to our music and claim it as your own work.

Do you offer refunds or replacements?

Once our system shows that you have downloaded your sound files then the sale is deemed final and no refund will be possible.

Refunds will only be issued when technical issues such as audio quality or file corruption cause the music to be unfit for purpose. If a refund is requested as the result of duplicate purchases or billing errors, we will issue a full or partial refund as soon as we are notified.

Following any refund, the license terms relating to the recording(s) will be revoked immediately. You must stop any use of the recording(s), confirm deletion of all music files from any computer, media or storage device to us via email.

Are you VAT registered?

We are currently not registered for VAT so cannot supply VAT invoices.